In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses the first component of cultural intelligence, which is CQ Drive.
- CQ Drive is what motivates us to interact with people of different cultures or to be in culturally diverse situations.
The 3 Components of CQ Drive
- Intrinsic Drive – your inner sense of being, driven by a sense of wanting to learn or a sense of curiosity.
- Extrinsic Drive – getting excited by opportunities, driven by external reward or recognition that will come as a result
- Self-efficacy – having the confidence to deal with situations even though you may not have the answer, taking action.
Cultural Intelligence Assessment Tool
- Cultural Intelligence Assessment Tool measures the scale around where your drive sits on the different aspects. It measures how much knowledge you have in the various aspects about different cultures, your level of strategy, and how you execute and put CQ into action.
- Self-awareness and mindfulness are really important to become an effective global leader.
Today’s Take-away Action
- Reflect on your own drive. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, where would you put yourself when it comes to intrinsic, extrinsic, and self-efficacy?
- What is it that gives you excitement and joy when interacting with people of different cultures?