In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses the second component of cultural intelligence, which is CQ Knowledge.
CQ Knowledge is the ability to understand how culture influences other people – how they think, how they behave, and what are the similarities and differences across cultures.
The Components of CQ Knowledge
- Business – how well do you know about business in a particular culture to your own.
- Language – the language of a particular culture also influences how people think.
- Leadership – how a good leader looks like when dealing with other cultures. How do you come across with a level of authenticity to make sure your messages are heard?
10 Cultural Country Clusters with examples
- Anglo Cluster – Australia, Canada, New Zealand, US, UK
- The Arab World – Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and UAE
- Confucian Asian Culture – China, Japan, Singapore, Korea
- Eastern European Cluster – Czech Republic, Hungary, Russia, Poland
- Germanic Cluster – Austria, Belgium, Germany
- Latin American – Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico
- Latin Europe – France, Italy, Portugal, Spain,
- Nordics – Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway,
- Africa (Sub-saharan Africa) – Kenya, Nigeria, Zimbabwe
- South Asia – Malaysia, India, Philipines, Thailand
Today’s Take-away Action
- How knowledgeable are you of different cultures? How well do you know the different cultural groups that you are working with?
- How can you increase your knowledge about different cultures?