In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses vulnerability and why it’s important in leadership.
- Being vulnerable means being exposed to either a physical or emotional sense of attack.
- Vulnerability demonstrates a sense of humanity.
- Vulnerability creates a safe place for people to provide input.
- In a world that’s full of cognitive bias, what you need is cognitive periphery or someone who thinks differently. It is all about getting different perspectives and being comfortable in being vulnerable.
- When you are willing to share your shortcomings and demonstrate that you are not perfect, it enables you to establish authentic connections and display vulnerability to the point where people feel it’s safe to offer their opinions.
Today’s Take-away Action
- How comfortable are you with being vulnerable? How much do you share with your team?
- How comfortable are you with sharing things about others and how can you push that out a little?