In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses transitioning to retirement and how leaders can effectively prepare themselves for it.
Transitioning to Retirement
- One of the first things you should do to prepare yourself for retirement is to stop thinking about it.
- It is important for organisations to provide transitioning to retirement coaching to help their people navigate the change.
- Mental health is important. As a leader, you need to think about keeping your brain active. How do you keep yourself engaged with the society and how do you keep yourself abreast of what’s happening in the world.
- Wisdom is what happens when you have an experience that you can learn from.
- Physical health is as important. You need to maintain a certain level of physical flexibility.
- Emotional health is your sense of well-being.
- Spiritual health is all about spending more time thinking about your inner life, your legacy.
- Meditation helps you build a level of spirituality. It’s a practice that you may want to incorporate more if you haven’t done that when you were younger. Not only does it help you spiritually but also mentally, physically, and emotionally.
- Think about how to embrace being an elder. What does that mean for you and the community you are in? It is the legacy that you will leave behind.
Today’s Take-away Action
- Are you looking to retire in the next 12-24 months? If yes, how are you preparing for it?
- What is your level of mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health?