In this episode, Tom talks about the importance of self-care in leadership and the four aspects of self-care that leaders need to be mindful of especially in times of uncertainty.
- Self-care is important for leaders especially in times of uncertainty.
- Self-care is all about taking care of yourself so that you can then look after your team, your family, and your community.
- Looking after your physical health is all about movement and exercise. Go for a walk. Get out into nature.
- You are much more resistant to any virus when you are reasonably fit and physically healthy.
- Emotional health is all about your emotional well-being. It’s how you are within.
- Part of your emotional well-being is being able to recharge and reconnect with yourself.
- Mental health is all about your state of mind. Practice taking some time to meditate to look after your mental health. Sit in a period of silence. Focus on your breathing and just settle your mind.
- Keeping your state of mind healthy allows you to not succumb easily to pressure. Having the ability to reframe things that you can’t control and thinking about how you can make the best of the things that are within your control are all part of being mentally healthy.
- Spiritual health is all about our beliefs. It’s about knowing that there is something that is greater than ourselves and there’s a greater purpose to everything that is happening around us.
- Spiritual health is also about having a sense of appreciation and being in awe that there are things that are far greater and beyond us.
- As a leader, you need to be conscious of how you are managing yourself and showing up. You need to care for others because people are relying on you.
- Take care of yourself. Fill your own tank first so then you can reach out to others.
- In a scale of 1-10, how would you rate yourself as a leader in terms of caring for yourself?
- What are some of the things you can improve and incorporate in your lifestyle?