In this episode, Tom reflects on a recent conference he spoke at and shares some examples of how we can overcome unconscious bias when interacting with people from different cultures.
Laying the Foundations for International Conference Success
- A handshake demonstrates trust, respect, and sincerity.
- When interacting with people from different cultures, always be mindful of your unconscious biases. Look for evidence to support your bias.
- Be conscious of the different communication styles. One of the biggest values of being in a conference is meeting new people and building relationships. Those two things rely heavily on being able to communicate well.
- Always think about how you can challenge your biases to make the most out of the conference.
- What are some of your biases whenever you attend a conference?
- How do you meet and interact with people? What are some of their reactions?
- How do you challenge your biases to make the most out of the conference?