In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses the third component of cultural intelligence, which is CQ Strategy.
- CQ Strategy is being aware of what’s going on. It’s all about having a plan for interaction and making sure that it is aligned with the culture you are interacting with.
3 Aspects of CQ Strategy
- Planning – knowing what you need to be conscious of when interacting with another culture that is different from your own.
- Being aware – how you execute, being mindful of what is happening
- Checking – making sure that you are aligned, being adaptable, checking your own assumptions as well as the assumptions that others may be making of you.
- Think about the things you can do to build relationships quickly. Using the Nine Dimensions of CQ Knowledge, build a strategy based on your awareness of your own culture and identify the group (cluster) you are going to be working with and need to be aware of.
- For any leader or any individual cross-cultural interaction, the mere fact that you sit down, pause and think to create a strategy can make a huge difference.
Today’s Take-away Action
- Think of a strategy before interacting with another culture. Take the reflection points from the last episode and use that to build a strategy.