In this episode, Tom talks about some of the key things that a leader must be mindful of in order to build and nurture a positive workplace culture in remote teams.
Building Culture in Remote Teams
- Be clear about the purpose of the organisation.
- Be clear about your strategy and appreciate your team’s role in building that strategy. Make them feel that they are a part of it.
- Make sure that there is clarity on the roles of each team member.
- Having a well-thought onboarding process is critical. Make sure that your team is well-equipped with the things they need to know when they start and that there is someone that they can talk to about different things.
- Communication is important.
- Technology is not a substitute for human interaction. Keep building that human relationship despite the distance and all the wonderful tools around communication.
- Keep in mind that different people prefer different ways to communicate. Some people like written words whilst other people like having conversations.
- Different people may work differently. Some people can work well by themselves whilst other people thrive on working with others.
- Always be checking on your team. It helps build that personal connection.
- Your team knows how to do the job. What is even more important are the soft skills in building relationships – how do you share ideas and how do you deal with conflict as a team? All these things come into play in terms of building a positive workplace culture.
- Keep your relationship with your team at a deep level. Show them that you care. Always remember that you are working not just across cultures but across distance and time.
- How does your organisational culture look like? What are some of the things that you do to build and nurture a positive remote team culture?
- How do you ensure that your team culture leads to high performance?