In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses the fourth component of cultural intelligence, which is CQ Action.
- CQ Action is how we act appropriately in cross-culture or multi-culture situations. It is our verbal and non-verbal communication that helps us work in building relationships with people.
- Our deepest challenge is our default behaviour. Most of the time, when we are in a cross-culture situation, we are already slightly stressed. It’s easy when we are in a heightened state, to go back to our default behaviour but one of the things that we really need to work on as leaders is to learn how to be comfortable with silence.
- We spend so much time with words rather than actually taking in the whole context of the message. Being able to hear what is not being said is key thing.
Today’s Take-away Action
- Observe other people in a particular culture. How do they interact with one another?
- How well do you interact with people of a different culture? Are you conscious of your words, the tonality of your voice, and non-verbal expressions? How did you come across?