In this episode of the CQ for Global Leaders Podcast, Tom discusses how leaders can brand themselves and be known for their purpose.
Building Your Brand as a Leader
- All leaders have their own personal brand.
- A brand is a promise. It’s a promise to deliver on what it says it will do.
- Consistency is key to any brand.
- Every organisation has its own organisational culture. As a leader in that organisation, you espouse those values. You may not agree with everything in your culture but there are certain ways of doing it.
- A brand is something you want to be known for. It is how you are described as a leader, how you promote your purpose, and the people you need to get that message out to.
- An intrapreneur is someone who works within the organisation to build business.
- Self-awareness is important. As a leader, you need to be able to identify your attributes that are valuable to the organisation and be able to marry up your own personal enjoyment and fulfillment to that value in reinforcing your brand.
- You are a brand in the organisation. You need to be conscious of the reputation that you want to build.
- As you build your career, there will be things that you will be known for. Figure out how you can get to that slipstream and how do you become known for whatever it is that you want to be known for.
- A good example of a brand is the things that people say about you when you are not in the room.
- What is your brand?
- In 4-5 words, how do you describe yourself as a brand?
- Ask people to describe you. Ask them what they think about you.